Re: Recovering Confidential Data

  • Subject: Re: Recovering Confidential Data
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:30:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Unruh wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>
>>James Knott wrote:

>>> If the system uses a standard encryption method, you won't be locked
>>> out, so
>>> long as the disk is functioning.  Data recovery may require some effort
>>> though.
>
> AND as long as you have the key. Loose that ans throw away all your data.

>>> What about a doctor, with confidential records on his computer?  Some
>>> sensitive corporate data?  Someone with nosey kids?
>
>>I thought about it when I wrote the message, but I refuse to believe it. A
>>corporate machine or a machine belonging to a medical practitioner will
>>never be investigated at that level unless there is suspicion of fraud.
>>Digging out data from the hard-drive is an expensive process. If you want
>>protection from nosey kids, you can use less drastic security measures.
>
> Complete nonesense. Everyone has stuff that they would rather not share
> with the world. If the police come to your door and ask for your last 10
> years of incometax filings, do you give it to them? If the local homeless
> person does, do you give it to them? Digging out data froma a hard drive
> is easy. You do it every day.

You haven't convinced me yet. I clearly stated "unless there is suspicion of
fraud". I don't think the police will ever have any interest in archives of
my daily schedules or projects and if they do, I don't mind frankly. As
long as they don't mirror it somewhere on the World Wide Web...

As long as I know I have done nothing wrong, why encrypt anything? I have
never once encrypted an E-mail message (apart from testing purposes, file
encryption likewise) although I sign all my outgoing messages. One would
argue that due to such practices, any encrypted message would trigger
suspicion. The authorities would clearly dread the day when every single
message gets encrypted.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com