Re: Encryption and Confidential Data

  • Subject: Re: Encryption and Confidential Data
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 04:27:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
James Knott wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> That sounds excellent, but wouldn't that get you dependent on the
>> integrity and existence/presence of your 'USB key'? Will you start
>> producing spares and exchange them with the next door neighbour? What if
>> the system cannot mount the USB device? There is risk involved.
>
> If the system uses a standard encryption method, you won't be locked out,
> so
> long as the disk is functioning.  Data recovery may require some effort
> though.
>
>> I don't believe that many people will require that much security unless
>> they do something illegal.
>
> What about a doctor, with confidential records on his computer?  Some
> sensitive corporate data?  Someone with nosey kids?

I thought about it when I wrote the message, but I refuse to believe it. A
corporate machine or a machine belonging to a medical practitioner will
never be investigated at that level unless there is suspicion of fraud.
Digging out data from the hard-drive is an expensive process. If you want
protection from nosey kids, you can use less drastic security measures.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com