Re: Thunderbird to kde integration

  • Subject: Re: Thunderbird to kde integration
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:41:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Denis Kostousov wrote:

> I want to integrate Mozilla Thunderbird to KDE (as default mail
> application).

Done that myself a week ago...

> I wrote small script that can connect to existing TB or lauch it:
> - -------------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="$HOME/Programs/Thunderbird"
>
> url="$1"
> if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
>   exit 0
> fi
>
> url=`echo $url|sed 's/^mailto://'`
>
> if $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -remote "mailto($url)"; then
>   exit 0
> fi
> exec $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird "$url"
> - -------------
>
> Then I set this as default mail application in KDE.

Thanks for that. I am trying to make use of it, but I have a hard time
because Firefox (I left Konqueror last year) does not handle the mailto
protocol.

> But, when I tried send message to person in KAddressbook, this script
> execudet without any argument. Why?

Why do you not just pass all the data from KAddressbook to Thunderbird. You
can export from KAddressbook as CSV and then import everything into
Thunderbird, which has a very flexible set of import/export utilities.
Thunderbird also allows you to move in more direction because it supports a
larger range of formats.

> How KDE pass email address to mail application?

I am afraid that I can't answer that one, but I hope somebody else can.