Re: Install error...

  • Subject: Re: Install error...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:58:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.win2000
sky15926 wrote:

> I have uninstalled some existing, working applications under WS 2000
> (latest SP installed). As I try now to install them again, using the same
> CD's, I get the error
> " C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT . The system file is not suitable for
> running MS_DOS and
> Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.'
>
> Is there a parameter in the system wrongly setup? I repeat, I use exactly
> the same CD's, and was very well istalled before...

Autoexec.nt sounds like an alternative or a back-up for autoexec.bat, which
runs processes once the operating system taken control from BIOS. I think
it might be safe to remove that file and, even more cautiously, move it to
a temporary location and see the outcome. It seems possible that some
process modified the file, which in turn could have been modified by a
service pack or the like.

Have a look at the file (edit) and see if it makes sense. If not, try
replacing it with c:\autoexec.bat, but make sure you keep a trail of
back-ups.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com