Re: PageRank Prediction

  • Subject: Re: PageRank Prediction
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:55:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
John B wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> d92re3$1a5l$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:d92re3$1a5l$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
>> Can somebody please comment about the following tool? It is
> said to make
>> PageRank predictions and having played with it for a while, I
> wonder if it
>> only spits garbage number or perhaps makes sensible
> predictions.
>>
>> http://www.rustybrick.com/pagerank-prediction.php
>>
>> As for the reason that I post it here, it seems to make some
> fairly good
>> guesses, judged by what I already know.
>>
>> Roy
>
> Try this one
>
> http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank_calculator.php3
>
> John B

Very sophisticated, but doesn't it require manual work? Wouldn't you rather
use something that estimated all the necessary input independently?

I never really use on-line tools of this type. Once I fetched your Perl
scripts, I never needed to either. A 'diff' report re-appears in Desktop
every morning so I'm on 'passive mode'.

For some reason, I was never able to get it to work with bank statements,
e.g.: http://cpan.develooper.com/modules/by-module/Finance/

What is most 'lovable' is the ability to 'diff' a pair of 'wget' outputs,
thereby detecting change (analogous to feeds) in plain HTML pages, e.g.
seminar announcements.