"Thinks" and "Believes in"

  • Subject: "Thinks" and "Believes in"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:01:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
A certain question that has occupied my mind for a while. Why are we
accustomed to saying "he/she believes in God"? This indirectly implies the
existence of God -- one God, in fact. Why is it uncommon to hear someone
say "he/she thinks there is a God"? The difference is subtle, but shouldn't
this change of habit be made? I am pretty certain that some people would be
offended by the latter.