Re: Future palmOne devices will include 6-GB hard disk

Tony Clark wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
> d9k6360cvt@news3.newsguy.com">news:d9k6360cvt@news3.newsguy.com...
> SNIP
>

>> Wonder how long it's going to be before somebody publishes a procedure
>> for upgrading the drive?
>
> Open case.
> Void warranty
> Remove 4G drive
> Insert 6G drive
> Close case
>
> I can't image it's that hard. The question is will it be worth it? Given
> the cost of a 6G microdrive you'd probably be better off selling the 4G
> unit and upgrading. At least you'd get the warranty that way.
>
> Cheers
> TC

I am now sure how/if the memory/software will handle it. You must be
thinking of BIOS where the number of cylinders and all that malarkey gets
automatically detected. Maybe the handling of that particular 4 GB drive is
embedded onto the ROM. Or maybe the hard-drive specs have changed although
it's unlikely since it comes from the same vendor.

So, no warranty and a blown up hard-drive are the risk. Better to wait until
the first guy tries that out and posts about it in UseNet...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com