Re: Dual Booting system and Pilot

  • Subject: Re: Dual Booting system and Pilot
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:38:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
pepebuho@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a dual boot system, Windows and Linux.
>
> I usually synchronize my Palm M515 while in windows mode.
>
> If I set up a common area that both windows and linux can have access
> to,
> is it possible to make the OS irrelevant while synchronizing?
>
> I fear that If I do this I will corrupt all the databases on the Pilot.
>
> thanks for your input

You can read a Windows partition from Linux, but not write onto it. Perhaps
new technologies have emerged since I last though. From Windows, I do not
believe you have any access to a Linux partition. Microsoft refuse to
believe that anything but Windows exists, but maybe third-party software
will offer a solution. Have a look into Samba < www.samba.org/ >. Also
consider synchronising the data on an intermediate server, if one is
available to you. Also consider JPilat or KPilot. You should be able to
secure all your data without rebooting in Windows mode.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com