Re: Which search engine is the ultimate test?

  • Subject: Re: Which search engine is the ultimate test?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:20:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Lauri Raittila wrote:

> in alt.html, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Steve Horrillo wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a single engine or directory that can tell you if "you've made
>> > it to the big time?"
>
> Google, with some popular term...
>
> All others depends on what's your focus. Often, there is one or two link
> list pages where it is very good to get. On some subjects, if you are not
> in some directory, you might be not be even found by experts, even if you
> are on good place by google...
>
>> Google currently serves the largest number of referrals, so if visitors
>> who target your business are the priority, Google number 1 is your goal.
>> But what does number 1 mean? It all depends on the search term (i.e the
>> SERP).

Google gives some kind of a boost to new sites so getting the number one
position for just a couple of weeks might be easy. Getting number one for a
1- or 2-word phrase is hard, especially if it's a meaningful, actual term
like 'open source' or 'internet explorer 7' these days.

> Yes. Google number one is very easy to get, for some terms (I actually
> use google lucky search (ctrl + l) to quickly go to most of my pages)

How do you do that? I am very curious. The most efficient way for me has
been an internal site search (as in the top-right of
http://www.schestowitz.com/Portal/); I subsequently hit the first result.
Can this be made shorter?

> But for some terms, it is very hard... Especially hard if your term also
> means something in English, and your site is in some minor language, like
> Finnish...

Very true. There is some class of software that gives you insight into SERP
popularity.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com