Re: What would heaven be like

  • Subject: Re: What would heaven be like
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:50:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
postman wrote:

> I am sitting here at my computer musing about if there is really a god and
> a heaven what would it be like. The only thing we really know is that if
> there is a heaven it is for eternity. So what are we going to do for an
> eternity.
> Will we sit and watch old television sitcoms. There will be no sex or
> alcohol and even if there was they would get pretty boring before we were
> too far into eternity. Maybe we could spend our time talking. What would
> we talk about for an eternity and who would we talk to. I mean most of the
> people up there would be the plain dumb stupid people who never did
> anything interesting in their life. Anybody interesting would have
> millions of people trying to have a chance to talk to them. How long is an
> eternity. How many billions of years after the Earth was blown away by an
> exploding Sun would we have to sit and contemplate our navels.
>
> I am not sure if I can face that future but what can I do. If I blow
> myself away I just get there quicker. I think I can only pray that there
> is no God or Heaven...

Your plans for occupying yourself in heaven are quite ordinary. Don't you
know that God has got the latest PlayStation with all the best-selling
ROMs? That beats the hell out of sitting on the sofa talking to people. I
personally think it would get boring after a while. Then you would ask God
to go down to hell, you know? For the sake of change. Eventually, you wake
up in bed and realise you are better off never going to heaven, or hell or
whatever else humanity has made up throughout history.

So, 'God' is in fact doing us a favour. He lets us be gone when our day has
come. He also makes himself inexistent so that we never need worry about
heaven, hell and all that malarkey.

I'd repeat your last sentence:

"I think I can only pray that there is no God or Heaven..."

Then I'd add:

Those who wish for heaven are those who have never lived.