Re: Cron problems

  • Subject: Re: Cron problems
  • From: Peter Benie <peterb@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
  • Date: 01 Mar 2005 08:26:51 +0000 (GMT)
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
In article <cvu763$2vlt$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>,
Roy Schestowitz  <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>I have been struggling to set up a nightly job that backs up a portion of my
>files. The following is a snippet from my crontab:
>
>---
>SHELL=/bin/sh
>PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
>
>28 4 * * * tar czvf /home/roy/Main/Transfer_Archives/rss-`date
>+%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz /home/roy/Main/Transfer

crontab(5) says:

       The  ``sixth''  field (the rest of the line) specifies the
       command to be run.  The  entire  command  portion  of  the
       line,  up to a newline or % character, will be executed by
       /bin/sh or by the shell specified in the SHELL variable of
       the  cronfile.   Percent-signs  (%) in the command, unless
       escaped with backslash (\), will be changed  into  newline
       characters, and all data after the first % will be sent to
       the command as standard input.

Peter