Re: "strange subdirectories"

  • Subject: Re: "strange subdirectories"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 02:24:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> It seems as Google robots visit subdirectories which I do not see in my
> directory www
> for example
>
> crawl-66-249-65-44.googlebot.com - - [05/Mar/2005:01:03:48 +0100] "GET
> ///it/lamediazionemerci2.html HTTP/1.1" 200 4396 "-" "Mozilla
>
> That means subdirectories with several "/" before my "normal
> subdirectories (for example "it").
> They are very many "strange subdirectories!
> Is it normal?
> What can I do?

I am not sure about Google, but Yahoo make very many mistakes. One such
mistake involves mixing structures and files from other sites. If you see
strange filenames, that'll be the explanations. Another one that I suffer
from all the time is when Yahoo fail to traverse directories without an
index -- that is -- directories which invoke the default Apache file
listing. Yahoo descents to a lower level, which is incorrect and this
triggers many distracting errors.

Google might be doing similar mistakes. I noticed that  it continuously
fails to deal with frames that come from different domains. Sometimes it
looks for .tex files when a .pdf is found. All in all, I do not totally
trust it.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com