Re: Kmail backup question

  • Subject: Re: Kmail backup question
  • From: VenimK <VenimKSuSE-remove-me@telenet.be>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:34:09 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Terry wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Marco B. wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to know if there is a way to make a 'selective' backup in
>>> Kmail. Explanation: I have way too many e-mails in my kmail client. I'd
>>> like to backup the older ones, and keep only the most recent ones active
>>> in kmail. Concretely, my mails are divided in folders. Last year mails
>>> are in a folder called '2004', which contains some subfolders for In and
>>> Out. And the same for the previous years.
>>> I'd like to be able to archive, for example, 2004, 2003, and so on, and
>>> being able to put them back, in case I need to.
>>> If it is possible, what files should I backup and which not?
>>> My mailbox files are in 'maildir' format.
>>
>> You can probably graft entire directories under ~/Mail and put them at a
>> separate location for backup. You can set up a cron job that does this
>> occasionally and possibly backs up the relevant files. Simply by
>> coincidence, I wrote about this method earlier this morning:
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog
>>
>> Roy
> That is what I do.  Although, I just manually move the email files to a
> backup directory.  Starting Kmail the next time clears the list and by
> moving them back to the Kmail location, the emails are restored and
> readable.

#!/bin/bash

echo
echo "Backup script voor mail"
# Create a compressed backup of your home directory in a file named
# backup.tar.gz or backup.tar.bz2 depending on the compression scheme used.

BACKUP_DIRS=/media/backup/mail
BACKUP_FILE=/your/homedir/.kde/share/config/kmailrc
BACKUP_BOOK=/your/homedir/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

rm /media/backup/mailbackup/mail.tar.gz
rm /media/backup/mailbackup/kmailrc.tar.gz
rm /media/backup/mailbackup/bookmark.tar.gz
echo
echo
echo
echo "Vorige files verwijderd"
echo "Previous backup removed"
echo
echo

# Uncomment the following line if you want GZipped backups

tar -cvzf /media/backup/mailbackup/mail.tar.gz $BACKUP_DIRS
tar -cvzf /media/backup/mailbackup/kmailrc.tar.gz $BACKUP_FILE
tar -cvzf /media/backup/mailbackup/bookmark.tar.gz $BACKUP_BOOK

echo "De backup file is aangemaakt"
echo "Groeten VenimK"

put this in cron to run daily or so