Re: Referrer Spam

David Dorward wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I can no longer see my
>> referrers because it's hard to distinguish spam and real citations. Is
>> there a way to prevent this? (I doubt it)
>
> Write a bot (I'd use Perl with LWP) to visit each referer and look for a
> link to your site, dump each entry in to the log to /dev/null or a new
> file depending on the result. Not 100% reliable, but it should help.

Is there something I can re-use? Do you have anything for this job yourself?
It seems like a fair bit of trouble for an unimportant convenience.

I am concerned about this phenomenon because it appears to grow rapidly,
from just a few 2 months ago, to dozens last month and hundreds this
month... some of them have deceiving names and a high number of referrals
(>50), so they are hard to ignore and just not follow. This only encourages
the spammers to proceed with this technique.

One would say this is rather like E-mail spam. You can no longer find your
referrer among the 'noise'. What makes it worse is the fact that there is
no message body, subject line, etc. to judge the source by...

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com