Re: Referrer Spam

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy Schestowitz" <>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: Referrer Spam

> David Dorward wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I can no longer see my
>>> referrers because it's hard to distinguish spam and real citations. Is
>>> there a way to prevent this? (I doubt it)
>>
>> Write a bot (I'd use Perl with LWP) to visit each referer and look for a
>> link to your site, dump each entry in to the log to /dev/null or a new
>> file depending on the result. Not 100% reliable, but it should help.
>
> Is there something I can re-use? Do you have anything for this job
> yourself?
> It seems like a fair bit of trouble for an unimportant convenience.
>
> I am concerned about this phenomenon because it appears to grow rapidly,
> from just a few 2 months ago, to dozens last month and hundreds this
> month... some of them have deceiving names and a high number of referrals
> (>50), so they are hard to ignore and just not follow. This only
> encourages
> the spammers to proceed with this technique.
>
> One would say this is rather like E-mail spam. You can no longer find your
> referrer among the 'noise'. What makes it worse is the fact that there is
> no message body, subject line, etc. to judge the source by...
>
> Roy
>
> --

Roy,
       There's not much you can do to eliminate log spamming. You may
however reduce it over time.
The old default of referrals being included is getting less and less, even
from genuine visitors who use software's which blank out the referrer field.
I've used referrer's in the past to assist in expanding content that
visitors where looking for, some times, even on the fly.

"jdmorgan" in the Webmaster World forums offers a solution for a server
rather than a hosted web site. (I failed to record the reference.)
Jim moderates a forum:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum92/
He also occasionally pops in to:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum11/index.htm

Jim stays quite busy and generally will only assist folks who've show some
type of effort in a solution and offer that solution in the forum. I suggest
searching the archives and making inquiries from there.