Re: Beta Version Question: Multiple return addrs?

  • Subject: Re: Beta Version Question: Multiple return addrs?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:15:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Els wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
>>
>>> The one feature that I lust after in Agent is the ability to default to
>>> different return addresses depending on the folder that is currently
>>> open when I create the message or reply.
>>>
>>> Mainly, I'd have the bogus addr you see on this assigned to NGs....but
>>> maybe have a "real" address as my default for regular mail and maybe
>>> variations on it for various mailing lists.
>>>
>>> Anybody know?
>>
>> I think that's an excellent idea, but I doubt any mail client supports
>> it, yet. There are other usability enhancements like shortcut-keys which
>> send a message to the right mail folder depending on the assignment of
>> keys. There is also wide support now for automatic BCC field (this is
>> good if you keep an archive of outgoing mail), which works impeccably in
>> conjunction with mail filters -- those that put it in 'sent items' on the
>> machine which keeps the archive.
>>
>> Back to your suggestion, Thunderbird allows you to specify different
>> return-to address, identity and signature (?) depending on the mail
>> account. If you split your mail based on E-mail accounts, e.g. if you own
>> a domain, then this will provide the solution.
>
> I'm probably missing something, as you start saying that you doubt any
> mail client supports it, and then you say how Thunderbird does?

Thunderbird does not track the current view (folder) you are in, e.g. work,
play, unresolved. It sets the return-to address depending on the server
from which the message was received.

> Anyway, I just changed from X-news to 40tude Dialog because of the
> same thing. Works great: I can use identities based on which folder
> I'm in. I can have a different identity for each newsgroup if I want,
> which includes from and reply to addresses and signatures, and all
> kinds of features.

That sounds like a nice idea. Different signatures for work, friends,
family, etc. I'm glad to hear that you found what you had been looking for.

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com