Opinion: Do web standards matter?

  • Subject: Opinion: Do web standards matter?
  • From: Sugapablo <russ@REMOVEsugapablo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:01:30 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html, alt.html
Just out of curiosity, while checking on a site I was working on, I
decided to throw a couple of the web's most popular URLs into the W3C
Markup Validator.

Out of microsoft.com, google.com, amazon.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, and
mozilla.org, only Mozilla's site came back "Valid HTML".

So if all these places, with their teams of web developers don't seem to
care, should the rest of us small time web devs concern ourselves with
standards? I do, but sometimes I feel it's a wasted effort. What do yinz
think?

P.S. Slashdot returned a 403 Forbidden to the validator but when I saved
the homepage locally, it failed too.

--
[ Sugapablo                                                                   ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.net <--personal | http://www.sugapablo.com  <--music   ]

    http://www.subuse.net : text-only, low bandwidth, anonymous web forums