Re: Opinion: Do web standards matter?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:01:30 -0500, Sugapablo wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, while checking on a site I was working on, I
> decided to throw a couple of the web's most popular URLs into the W3C
> Markup Validator.
>
> Out of microsoft.com, google.com, amazon.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, and
> mozilla.org, only Mozilla's site came back "Valid HTML".
>
> So if all these places, with their teams of web developers don't seem to
> care, should the rest of us small time web devs concern ourselves with
> standards? I do, but sometimes I feel it's a wasted effort. What do yinz
> think?
>
> P.S. Slashdot returned a 403 Forbidden to the validator but when I saved
> the homepage locally, it failed too.

I follow the standards.  It isn't a guarantee that the page(s) will work
everywhere, but I like to think it will.  Maybe eventually, the browsers
will catch up and follow the standards too.  In the mean time, some
manufacturers like to make their own standards, rather than following
those already in existance.

I also try to produce pages with minimal bloat.  Keep the pages small, so
they load fast.  It also makes them easier to edit later on.

Carolyn