Re: OT: Googled

  • Subject: Re: OT: Googled
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:53:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.diet
Ignoramus6685 wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:48:37 -0500, Carol Frilegh <cma@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>> I "googled" myself and found over 10,500 posts are archived. Can I
>> remove these...

>From Google -- maybe; from cyberspace -- never. *sorry*

> ...and how do I prevent future postings.

You stop writing or change your on-line identity.

> famous people do not
>> have such volumes.

They probably have even less flattering citations.

> Do I have to change my address or identity?

You could, but I don't see the point.

http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller?cmd=reload&lastcmd=login

> To prevent future postings from being archived, you can use a
> setting it as a header).

This works provided that UseNet archives and search engines honour them.
Many do not.

> It does not prevent your name from being seen
> in replies to your posts that are archived.
>
> Changing your identity is the hardest one of all, as you probably want
> to preserve your identity (you want us to know who you are), but not
> make old posts searchable.

On a positive note, accept who you are and what you have said. Express
yourself openly. Given the large volume of posts under your name, finding
something embarrassing is finding a needle in a haystack. Also, people will
not spy on you, will they? They have many other things to worry about,
trust me. The paranoia is in vain.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com