Re: [OT] Newsgroups Support for "Cancel", "Supersede", etc.

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Newsgroups Support for "Cancel", "Supersede", etc.
  • From: John Hall <nospam_nov03@jhall.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:51:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.net
In article <slrnd8h2ri.sdb.chris@ccserver.keris.net>,
 Chris Croughton <chris@keristor.net> writes:
>Even in its heyday they were more of a "wish" than a command for several
>of those reasons, now they are all but useless and certainly can't be
>relied on to work.

There are circumstances where Supersedes can still be useful. I post a
weekly FAQ which is specifically aimed at Demon new users. I post it to
a particular demon.* group using Demon's own news server, which still
acts on Supersedes. The article will of course be propagated to other
news servers that may not honour the Supersedes header, but that doesn't
matter too much since most of the people at whom it is aimed will be
downloading it from Demon's own server.
--
John Hall

               "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
                                     Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)