Re: remembering post data

  • Subject: Re: remembering post data
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:25:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Troy Piggins wrote:

> Sorry if this is a dumb/freq asked question.
>
> On our intranet we have html (well, more correctly php) forms to send
> faxes.  If you progress to the next screen to print, but realise you
> made an error, or want to go back for some other reason, the data is no
> longer there on the form.  It is cleared.

The policy regarding remembering or not remembering values should probably
depend on:

1) The browser

2) The security level

3) The protocol, e.g. https, feeds, etc.

Since no values are contained in the source, the server should not directly
be involved, i.e. it should not send values back to the user (unless you
program it to do so).

> I am not sure if this is a html thing, or could be an apache thing.
>
> Is there a way for the form to 'remember' the data when you go back in
> history?

Try a range of different browsers and see how they behave.

> I can provide further information if you need, but am not sure what is
> relevant - since I don't know if it is a web server thing or a html
> thing.  Obviously if it's the former, I'll look elsewhere unless someone
> can point me in the right direction quickly.

Having said all of that, I believe there might be an option (in the page
source) for 'remember', just as there is onefor 'hidden'. Let's see what
the others say...

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com