Re: Link Icons: How do they get there?

  • Subject: Re: Link Icons: How do they get there?
  • From: Blinky the Shark <no.spam@box.invalid>
  • Date: 30 May 2005 16:53:45 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> This is the nature of Internet Explorer, which I assume you are
>>> using. If

>> I did not know that about IE.  Do you know how long it keeps them?

> I first noticed this bug under Internet Explorer 5, around 1999/2000.
> I am surprised it hasn't been resolved yet.

I'm not.

> The link icons appeared proprely at first, but after an arbitrary
> amount of time they vanished. Of course it's impossible to comprehend
> this behaviour as it's not Open Source, but maybe there's caching
> involved. Re-adding the page/s to favourites revived the icon of the
> new entry/ies, but not the old one/s. It all seemed quite stochastic
> and I found it rather frustrating.  One day I had a nice little
> collage of icons, which allowed me to rely on the _visual_, and one
> week later it's all just tiny "E's" with long strings of text that
> don't ring a bell.

One of the standard Windows "routine maintenance" tasks seems to be
"clean up (delete) your 'temporary internet files'".  Is there any
chance that in doing that every so often, as IE users seem to be
required to do, they're deleted with the other files that have
apparently built up and congealed into some kind of hard mass, blocking
the arteries of the OS or browser?

--
Blinky                                 Linux Registered User 297263
Info:   http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html