Re: FUD Banner

  • Subject: Re: FUD Banner
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:08:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [Colin Day] on Tuesday 01 November 2005 17:41 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Sinister Midget] on Monday 31 October 2005 11:38 \__
>>

>>>On 2005-10-31, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
>>>something concerning:

>>>That's why /he/ gets to be CEO of the largest criminal software
>>>enterprise in the world (and be the Chief Monkeydance Showgurl), and we
>>>don't!
>>>
>>>Good show, Blammer!
>>

>> I can't wait until Halloween is out. I prepared this really neat new
>> banner for my front page...
>>
>> Here's an exclusive preview for Web crawlers to bite on:
>>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/IMG/Banners/os_banner.jpg
>>
>> Roy
>
> Shouldn't that be doubtful instead of disturbed?
>
> Colin Day

Oh, you're right... what a fluke!

>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03) :

  FUD

           /fuhd/ An acronym invented by Gene Amdahl
          after he left IBM to found his own company: "FUD is the
          fear, uncertainty, and doubt that IBM sales people instill
          in the minds of potential customers who might be considering
          [Amdahl] products."  The idea, of course, was to persuade them
          to go with safe IBM gear rather than with competitors'
          equipment.  This implicit coercion was traditionally
          accomplished by promising that Good Things would happen to
          people who stuck with IBM, but Dark Shadows loomed over the
          future of competitors' equipment or software.

I guess you meant "distressed" rather than "disturbed", but nonetheless I
made a mistake. Thanks for pointing that out... *frown*