Re: Google throws bodies at OpenOffice

__/ [Mark Kent] on Tuesday 01 November 2005 17:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> wd <n@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:28:09 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> wd <n@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I thought that the big plus point of open source was that people could
>>> do exactly this, ie., contribute to projects as they saw fit, assuming
>>> that they get the buy-in of the core developer(s). 'course, they could
>>> fork, but I don't think anyone sees that as a sensible route.
>>>
>>> So, does it really matter all that much what they focus on, so long
>>> as they're working towards the common goal?
>>
>> I like OpenOffice.  I don't want a GoogleOffice though.  Not interested in
>> them collecting my personal information for advertising programs even if
>> it is "open source".  I don't want my programs communicating with Google's
>> servers.  If it becomes GoogleOffice I'll switch to Abiword.  It would be
>> a good blow against Microsoft though.
>
> As it's all open-source, I don't think that kind of vendor lock-in
> practice would  be workable - as you say, you could just skip to abiword
> or to koffice.

...Or you could get the source and create a fork that excludes all the nasty
bits (whatever aGGravates you) and bring it back to the community. That's
the beauty of Open Source software.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  6:00pm  up 67 days 23:49,  5 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.25, 0.12