Re: Google throws bodies at OpenOffice

__/ [casioculture@xxxxxxxxx] on Tuesday 01 November 2005 03:46 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Au79] on Tuesday 01 November 2005 03:09 \__
>>

>> Sun Microsystems are among the major maintainers, as well as the ?funds
>> engine? behind OpenOffice. Finally we come to see that Google, who use
>> OpenOffice in-house, contribute back to the Open Source community which
>> they came from [2].
>

> Sun Microsystems are not 'among' the major maintainers and funders,
> they are THE major maintainers and funders.

I was being cautious about unfair exclusion, that's all.

> As for Google, I'm not sure what the significance of their move could
> be in 'practical' terms. Unless they're putting in tens of developers
> on openoffice it may not be that significant. It sounds to me like a PR
> stunt if all they're doing is putting in a couple of guys.

That is too what I suspected. They have done this before:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/supporting-open-source.html

<quote>
[DiBona:] We're pleased to be able to support their efforts with a donation
of $350,000
</quote>

$350,000? WTF? You can afford much more (orders of magnitude higher) than
that. I'm skeptic.

I also wonder if those couple of OpenOffice developers will focus on some
Google search bar for the office suite. I'm skeptic.

When I contacted DiBona in the past, complaining about lack of support
(negligence) for Linux, he spewed out some loose promises. It's been a
couple of months and no action has been taken. I'm skeptic.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
  3:50am  up 67 days  9:39,  5 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.42, 0.57