Re: Linux, Cambridge, and Singularity

__/ [William Poaster] on Friday 04 November 2005 10:55 \__

> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:37:13 +0000, a broadcast message from the Roy
> Schestowitz console, was as follows:
>
> <snip>
>> Thomas demonstrates the fact that not everyone in Cambridge has crossed to
>> the 'dark side'. From what I can gather, Oxford with whom I sometimes
>> collaborate, are *nix-friendly. Other top institutes like MIT and Stanford
>> likewise, which keeps the Wintrolls in a state of starvation. Let them
>> /try/ to argue that *nix is associated with falling behind.
>
> They probably will try, & (as I have most of the wintrolls binned) I shall
> watch the replies with interest.

Trolls are quiet when they are weak. They only yelp when there is another
side to present. This thread has not been troll-mucked yet, which is a good
indication of inarguable truth.

__/ [Thomas Wootten] on Friday 04 November 2005 10:43 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>> Thomas demonstrates the fact that not everyone in Cambridge has crossed to
>> the 'dark side'. From what I can gather, Oxford with whom I sometimes
>> collaborate, are *nix-friendly. Other top institutes like MIT and Stanford
>> likewise, which keeps the Wintrolls in a state of starvation. Let them
>> /try/ to argue that *nix is associated with falling behind.
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Yes I believe MS DOES have some involvement with Cambridge - there's a
> William Gates building somewhere for a start.
> But MS knows that it doesn't DARE tell physicists what OS to use. They can
> strongarm corporations and even national governments it would seem, but
> against research scientists all MS can do is try and spread FUD.

In my opinion, FUD goes in all directions.

I think that governments[1] are more fragile whenever hit by FUD. They
struggle to make judgement on their own as people from which governments
were made are rarely scientists. They are lawyers/politicians/speakers, much
like Microshafters in the new era (post Allchin-Gates-Allen).

Microsoft and politician get along just fine under most circumstances. They
see eye-to-eye while FUD sustains the shackles.

Roy

[1] Example: Bush says "Let the folks in Redmond continue to innovate"