Re: Microsoft 'Smart' Quotes

Roy Schestowitz wrote in alt.os.linux.mandrake:

[snip]
> There are several scenarios where I cut and paste information from one
> ap- plication to another via intermediates like emacs or kwrite, among
> others.
> It  is somewhat of an adaptation that is acquired from experience and
> re- peated struggles, which I find rather frustrating.
>
> Examples:
>
> *  Firefox  1.x clipboard is limited in size (not always) so need  to
> use Konqueror or other means for large textareas.
>
> *  Copying and pasting certain character encodings to/from LyX
> (especially foreign languages with accents).
>
> * aMSN (TCL/TKL) font encoding (years ago).
>
> You  see,  some applications seem to convert or reduce the number of
> con-
> flicts  or  gaps. Although these solution are nasty and non-trivial,
> they
> seem  to be doing the job. I am not alone in this as I suggested
> others to do similar tricks.
>
> Roy

If you have definite wants, read the documentation to make sure that
it does not already exist, then send your suggestions to the software
developers.  The worst that will happen is that they will ignore you.
Occasionally they write back with, "Good idea.  I'll put it into the
next major release.".

--
Peter D.
Sig goes here...