Re: konqueror: how to move files (without being asked "move, copy, link, cancel")?

  • Subject: Re: konqueror: how to move files (without being asked "move, copy, link, cancel")?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 05:10:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [frwarner] on Sunday 06 November 2005 12:08 \__

> How do I set the default on konqui so that move just means move, like
> even Windows can since 10 years ago?  Every time I try, the stupid
> "move, copy, link, cancel" submenu pops up.

* Highlight objects

* Press CTRL + X

* Go to target

* Press CTRL + V

This  does not directly answer your question, but I don't know of a  place
where  this behaviour could be changed. It's worth altering the habits in-
stead.

Windows  is taking a risky approach by doing what it does. Moving involves
/deleting/  in the sense that relocation leaves a locational 'void'.  Win-
dows  does  not always move objects. Under certain circumstances  it  just
creates shortcuts, assuming it is the more sensible action to take.

The dangerous thing is that Windows leaves users in the dark, not actually
informing  him/her  what is happening unless careful attention is paid  to
the existence of icons (or small pointers next to the icons).

I admire Konqueror for taking the approach which drag-and-drop in Windows,
with  the right-hand-side button (right-handed mouse assumed) takes.  Much
safer,  less  user-friendly  (confusing), but more reliable  to  the  user
nonetheless. Loss of files can be disastrous.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
  5:05am  up 4 days  1:03,  4 users,  load average: 0.83, 0.68, 0.56