Re: How to tell what is causing an error...?

__/ [Al] on Friday 11 November 2005 17:56 \__

> Hello,
>
> I recently had to exchange my Palm Treo 600 with the good folks at
> Verizon for a newer unit.  I got the new unit, I hot-sync'd it and all
> of the data was back.  I had to do some level of cleanup but that was
> okay.
>
> In a previous life - before my Treo, my Palm device was a Sony Clie.  I
> now get an error message when I turn on the telephone portion of my 600
> - it says:  This program is only for Sony Clie.  I can get past it, but
> it does this quite a bit.  I obviously have put a Clie related piece of
> code on the Treo and the Treo is very unhappy.  I just cannot figure
> out which piece of code is the culprit.
>
> Is there any way to tell what program is triggering this particular
> alarm?
>
> Thanx!
> Al

Do a regression-like test. Remove all additional software from the device
(leaving a copy elsewhere, e.g. on the PC), then add packages one by one and
see at which point it breaks. You will soon find the culprit assuming it is
not a /combination/ of packages which triggers a conflict. If you have many
add-on applications this might be time-consuming.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  5:25am  up 11 days  1:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.47, 0.59