Re: Novatech Laptop

  • Subject: Re: Novatech Laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:11:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.laptops
__/ [Juan Hunglow] on Saturday 19 November 2005 09:39 \__

> "Grey" <grahame9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I have a 18 month old Novatech Performa laptop and I have a "bright" patch
>> in the middle of  the 15" screen. Does anyone know who actually makes them
>> and have an idea how much to replace the screen?
>>
>> Graham
>>

> my daughters Novatech Soprano required a battery so I phoned Nova and they
> told me the manufacturers name............then sourced a battery at half
> the cost.

I  once looked at $500 for a replacement screen on a Compaq ("12 diagonal-
ly,  back in 2001/2). It was particularly annoying as the sole faulty ele-
ment  was the power wire which needed replacing. It only came with the en-
tire  display unit. The technicians would of course make no exceptions un-
less  another  dead  unit laid about. They could also use the  money  that
would  be  charged for an larger new component, so wanted about  $200  for
component 'recycling' IIRC.

With  RSS components I managed to compose together some replacement  wires
and  housings.  So, if I were you, I would find out if there is a  simpler
way  to address the problem rather than graft the entire display unit  and
replace  it. This can be expensive if you include labour and shipping (un-
less it's under warrantee of course).

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:05pm  up 16 days 12:59,  4 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.77, 0.87