Re: Peering through Windows

  • Subject: Re: Peering through Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:24:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.hacker
__/ [shegeek72] on Saturday 19 November 2005 07:03 \__

>>From the Nov. 14, 2005 issue of eWeek:
>
> "At a dinner last year with [Microshaft CEO] Steve Ballmer, he told me
> and several CIOs in Boston that Microsoft products and licensing
> policies protect purchasers from the potential intellectual property
> liabilities caused by open-source operating systems. We all found it
> interesting that we're paying Microsoft to protect us from harm."
> Dr. John Halamka, CIO

It suits Microsoft well when Open Source become their greatest threat, often
embodied in this 'devil' called Google, or Java/Sun, or Mozilla...

> "Windows has never been about innovation. The only innovation was in
> Microsoft's business practices using Windows to conquer the computer
> market. I can't think of a single technological contribution MS made
> with Windows... Why would there be? Innovation generally manifests as
> making something that barely works--not a good goal when you're trying
> to own the market."
> Joe Gimigliano, Systems Director of IP Security

Now, that's a true statement for a change. It is re-iterated very often by
very many people. Marketing (or conversely, in some sense, piracy) is what
enabled Microsoft to expand at the start.

> "One of the most memorable Windows moments came while attending Comdex
> in 1998. Bill Gates was onstage with a product manager praising the
> forthcoming Windows 98. The demo consisted of showcasing the plug and
> play (or pray?) capabilities with a scanner. Windows recognized the
> scanner and began installing the device driver, then promptly displayed
> the now infamous Blue Screen of Death... The crowd went nuts. It was a
> poignant moment of karmic justice to see that even the chairman of
> Microsoft himself was not immune to some of the less desirable
> 'features' of the software."
> Steve Wilson, IT Manager

That's very memorable. In their defence, the operating system is more stable
now, but it requires too many patches. I am yet to see them retaining an
uptime of hundreds of days. Their O/S is still very flaky in comparison with
*nix. I don't have enough experience with Jaguar/Tiger to comment from that
perspective.

> This is one of my favorites:
>
> "Well, to be polite, let me say that [Windows] was not a system that
> was designed and architected the way that I would have necessarily done
> it."
> Jim Allchin, co-president of Microsoft's Platform, Products & Services
> division, on his first impression of Windows
>
> SG

How about this one...

"[Microsoft's] products just aren't engineered for security."
  -- Brian Valentine
     Senior Vice President, Windows Development
     Microsoft Corporation

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    United States: #1 in spam export
  5:15pm  up 16 days 13:09,  4 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.73, 0.78