Re: .org Web site versus .com

  • Subject: Re: .org Web site versus .com
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:56:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.websites
__/ [Eliosa] on Monday 21 November 2005 00:01 \__

>> __/ [Eliosa] on Sunday 20 November 2005 01:47 \__
>>
>> > Hello, I would like to transfer my domaine name to an other place.
>> > Can you recommend a good site.
>> > Thanks
>>
>> Do you mean a "good host"? If so, I would warmly recommend my Web hosts,
>> Catalyst2 < catalyst2.com >.
>>
>> Roy
>
> Thanks.
> Now Are we aloud to use  a .org for a commercial site?

Noone  truly imposes restriction, not practically anyway especially as you
start  off small(ish). I have a non-profit site (explicitly so), yet it is
a  dot com because it was available and was easiest for people to remember
(being the most common suffix).

If  you have long-term intentions of running the site as a commercial one,
be  aware  that you might offend a few people or be forced to move to  the
appropriate  level  of the tree, namely .biz or .com (or regional  equiva-
lents like co.uk).

People  generally have an affinity for .org Web sites. They supposedly  do
not  sell  anything. If you write articles or publish your  material,  you
might  be  perceived as more credible under the dot org. Finanical  incen-
tives often contradict truths and put visitors off.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
  6:45am  up 18 days  2:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.69, 0.66