Re: Which Budget Laptop: Acer, HP, Fujitsu, Toshiba ??

  • Subject: Re: Which Budget Laptop: Acer, HP, Fujitsu, Toshiba ??
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:49:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops, uk.comp.sys.laptops
__/ [MS] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 18:26 \__

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a budget laptop for my Dad in the UK£500 price range.
> I've narrowed it down to these 5 which all have roughly the same specs and
> are roughly the same price. I've read lots about them on the web but can't
> decide between them. Can any of you laptop gurus help me decide please?
> Reliability is my top priority.
>
> Acer TravelMate 2312LCi
> HP Compaq NX6110
> Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Pro V2030
> Toshiba Satellite Pro L10
> Toshiba Satellite Pro L20
>
> Many thanks, regards, etc.

>From not-so-comprehensive experience with clients:

1. HP Compaq NX6110 (mainly because is is HP)
2. Toshiba Satellite Pro L10/L20 (Toshiba seem solid, experienced; I know too
little about reliability or faults, which perhaps is a good sign)
4. Acer TravelMate 2312LCi (Acer have nice designs, but I hear about Acer in
the cotext of faults)
5. Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Pro V2030 (seen one, but rarity is no good
indication)

As  a side note, Dell are said to suffer from hardware faults and  repairs
have  led  them to big losses lately (poor Intel capacitors also to  blame
too).  They have begun to consider AMD in recent days. Their support seems
to  have gone rather bad. A colleague could not get them on the phone  al-
thugh  he  called about a dozen times yesterday. Also consider Novatech  <
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ >.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
  5:40am  up 20 days  1:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.69, 0.59