Re: Which Budget Laptop: Acer, HP, Fujitsu, Toshiba ??

Roy Schestowitz emailed this:
From not-so-comprehensive experience with clients:

1. HP Compaq NX6110 (mainly because is is HP)
2. Toshiba Satellite Pro L10/L20 (Toshiba seem solid, experienced; I know too
little about reliability or faults, which perhaps is a good sign)
4. Acer TravelMate 2312LCi (Acer have nice designs, but I hear about Acer in
the cotext of faults)
5. Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Pro V2030 (seen one, but rarity is no good
indication)

As  a side note, Dell are said to suffer from hardware faults and  repairs
have  led  them to big losses lately (poor Intel capacitors also to  blame
too).  They have begun to consider AMD in recent days. Their support seems
to  have gone rather bad. A colleague could not get them on the phone  al-
thugh  he  called about a dozen times yesterday. Also consider Novatech  <
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ >.

Hi Roy,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I'd put the HP high on the basis of the 'Compaq' reputation. All Dells --despite being competetive-- were never considered on the basis of the terrible treatment I received from them with my last PC purchase (they made a mistake on my order, charged me for componenets that I wanted but weren't inside the PC, then sent the wrong component parts for me to fit, and all the while making me hold on the phone for 20 mins "you're call is very important to us" every time I needed to speak to someone).

Thanks for suggesting the Novatech, the Maverich range looks good. Are they reliable? Would you buy one instead of the HP (the specs are better for less money)? Have others had good expereience with these?

Many thanks.