Re: Semantic Searches - Knowledge Engines

__/ [www.1-script.com] on Sunday 09 October 2005 17:03 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Thoughts have occupied my mind which relate to the vocation of search
>> technology. As we all (should) begin to realise, data and software are
>> migrating to the Web so no more will we need to handle things locally,
>> i.e.
>> on/from our hard-drives. Web 2.0 also comes to mind, but it's not
>> related
>> directly to search engines. Now, here's a crazy thought...
>
> Hey Roy, welcome back!

Thanks! By the way, when Google referrals reverted back to their old pace
about 1.5 weeks ago (for me, at least), I instantly thought I'd point it
out to you. I held back as I needed to 'phase out' ahead of my departure.
Has this Google change in SERP's and priorities affected you too?

I more latterly suffer from plenty of referral spam that comes from Tonga's
sex & pills domains. I get about 500 'undeserved' visits counted each day.
My referrals logs are flooded by a sordid mess, bandwidth leaks and the Web
server badly suffers because a 100k+ HTML file (yes, tons of aggregated
HTML code) is repeatedly requested and it's generated _on-the-fly_ using
PHP. Goddamn spammers!

> Man, where did you go? I can't think of a place that would induce such
> heavy thoughts while vacationing ;-)

I thought about it in the airport. Genealogy sprung to mind.

> Was it a library you went to for
> couple weeks? If I may, I'd suggest you go to a nice beach next year,
> unwind, and then go back to the real world of fighting over SERP9 as
> oppose to SERP11, ready for another year of battle.

The beach burned me. *smile* Manchester offices are terrible preparation for
sunny beaches and prolonged exposure to lethal rays.

> I myself find it a bit diffcult to respond to such heavy thought on a
> Sunday ;-) Gotta give it another try tomorrow.

With GBP 140 per brand-new Linux box, this definitely looks affordable. I am
guessing that Google will do that sooner or later. Speaking of which, I
must be more careful when selecting threads to follow-up...

http://www.google.com/search?q=roy+schestowitz

Result number 9: "Are Google stupid?" (NOTE: not my words)

This is always a bad idea when recruiters take the alta vista. I once had my
name bound to "Re: Need a PDA that's not a piece of shit" despite the fact
that I vigorously evangelise Palm. I had a friend contact me because of
this search result, which reached page 1 of the SERP above.

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:50pm  up 45 days  6:04,  3 users,  load average: 2.08, 1.20, 0.73