Re: Google Site Down for Last Hour or More?

  • Subject: Re: Google Site Down for Last Hour or More?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:29:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Carl Gunther] on Wednesday 12 October 2005 11:06 \__

> Yes, it is back up for me, too, and I noticed that they now have a new
> feature, allowing local geographical search for specific things like
> restaurants and hotels.  My guess is that was it.
>
> Carl
>
> "Borek" <borek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:44:32 +0200, Carl Gunther
>> <spamthis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Haven't been able to get to any of Google's sites since about an hour
>>> and a
>>> half ago.  Anyone have any idea of what is going on?  Have they been
>>> hacked
>>> or is this just some major update?
>>
>> Works here, although additional 40 minutes have passed.
>>
>> Best,
>> Borek

I am not sure that would be an explanation for the downtime. Are you sure
that feature was never available before? Google are very serious about
their uptime. They even have engineers whose job is to ensure stability and
resilience.

Since you write from earthlink.net, I also assume that you come from a
fairly modern and primary country in the sense that Google's presence there
is crucial.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
 12:25pm  up 48 days  0:39,  3 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.56, 0.57