Re: Linkvault any good?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:44:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [Paul] on Tuesday 11 October 2005 22:34 \__
>
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:47:52 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [Paul] on Tuesday 11 October 2005 17:38 \__

>>>It makes one raise a brow when a wise guy comes out saying:
>>>
>>>  "Search engines work in way X because I changed
>>>  Y and I am not in position P+1 instead of P"
>>>
>>>It's like people who say that lottory is easy money because somebody won
>>>it last week. People believe what they choose to believe, but they never
>>>tell apart the forest from the tree.
>>>
>>>Roy
>>
>> Although the numbers have been small. I do get the occasional
>> webmaster ask if I use Zeus / Linkmanager etc and that if I was, they
>> did not want to link to me.
>

>The issue with man-made link exchanges is that you need to cycle and check
>to see that links remain alive and are not rel="nofollow". The time spent
>bargaining an exchange and then maintaining regular checks is ridiculous. I
>try spending more time working on the sites rather than negotiate in order
>to fool an algorithm.

Roy
The reason they asked was, IF I was using such tools as Zeus or
Linkmanager was that in their eyes, they had a bad name and didn't
want to link to sites that were using them. So I could have lost out.

Yes, checking IBLs can be time  exhausting I agree. And not nice when
you see someone move your link to another page for no reason, or total
removal thinking I won't find out at some point.

But we have had sales from people that saw our link on someone elses
site, so it can be work having link exchanges.

>> Thankfully I do not use such devices. I prefres the old fashioned, if
>> what slower way of phyiscally checking out a site and personally ask
>> for an exchange.
>>
>> my 2c
>> plh
>> Paul
>

>I don't think I have a single IBL that was properly negotiated. I tend to
>just get links from friends or readers (without request) and often do
>likewise.

It also depends on what your market is though. For instance, one site
I run (jewelry) is not the kind of site where people are just going to
link to.
Whereas my other site (American / Canadian Indian site) is always
getting IBLs without asking.

> Friends and readers never beyray you either, link-wise.

hmmmmm

>You can sometimes link to a site and in due time find a 'handshake' without
>exchanging a single word. I hope you know what I am referring to...

Yes, and the rarest of them all. But yes :)