Re: Gigantic-sized Referrer Spam

Hi Roy -

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:54:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>They used to fetch one opaque URL that hammered the database the most (about
>1000 queries per pageview). I re-directed based on the URL requested, but
>it was bound to become a cat-and-mouse game whereby the target URL changes
>and becomes more diverse too. The URL finally changed a few hours ago,
>which is bad news. I keep adding redirections at the moment. Without them,
>I might look at gigbit per hour. The counties of shame which I can identify
>are China, Russia, Singapore, South Korea and Mexico (sorry!) among others.

Just this past weekend I added mod_rewrite commands to give this crap
a very short error page with a custom 491 response code.  (I use a
send-as-is page for the error page to be able to specify the response
code.)

So far only one URL is being hit, so my RewriteRule is specifc to just
that one.  So far I have just six RewriteCond for %{HTTP_REFERER} ORed
together to block the crap without blocking legitimate linking from
search engines.  I'm sure I'll need to add more RewriteCond as time
goes by.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/