Re: SuSE RealPlayer and Skype

  • Subject: Re: SuSE RealPlayer and Skype
  • From: wd <n@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:06:41 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:01:37 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> That is the only reason I'm not interested in it.
>> RealPlayer is spyware in my opinion.
>

> Only on a spyware-permissive platform like Windows. Don't mix the two. Also
> remember that Registry is no more. Hence, more software does not imply
> significant slow-down.

I almost installed RealPlayer on my Windows computer once until I read
their terms.

>> I don't want Skype (Kazaa company)
>> on my computer either.
>

> Kazaa?!?! Are they not simply owned by eBay now?

I think eBay bought Skype but the company that developed Kazaa is the same
one that developed Skype.  Kazaa was so invasive that I don't wany Skype
anywhere near my computer.  I didn't see it on the list for SuSE but some
Linux distros now come with it.

>> Can you cleanly uninstall RealPlayer from SuSE and be sure that everything
>> is gone?
>
> Yes, why not? It sounds to me like paranoia though? Besides, what is the
> alternative? Windows Media Player (or MPlayer, totem, etc.)?

Windows Media Player is crap also.  I was using Media Monkey in Windows
and it didn't seem as sinister.  It doesn't seem to be phoning home all
the time.  Windows Media Player phones home all the time.