Re: AWW Get Together

  • Subject: Re: AWW Get Together
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:27:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Justin Koivisto] on Monday 17 October 2005 22:35 \__

> Lori wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>
>> Some of us have been chatting in another conversation about having some
>> sort
>> of get together for members of AWW.  This leads me to the following
>> questions:
>>
>> Should we try to organize this?  or is it a waste of time?
>
> Don't want to be a party-pooper, but it's a waste of time...

>From experience, it sure seems so.

> Can you imagine all the different schedules, likes/dislikes, etc. that
> you'd have to try and accommodate for? Hell, it's hard enough trying to
> get a company function together where there are less than 30 employees!

...And here you talk about an /international/ community of people who
barely (if ever) have seen each other. This can lead to anxiety -- the
latter point, that is.

> You're better off just trying to get a few members together.
>
>> Would you come?
>
> Only if it was driving distance for me. (IOW - not going to happen)

I am inclined to feel the same way. I sure know that not much is happening
in Manchester as far as international, high-status functions are
concerned.

>> Where should it be? (some suggestions have been London, York, Rome, etc)
>
> http://giantsridge.com/
> http://lakevermilionresorts.com/
> http://irontrail.org/
>
>> When should it be? (this winter, next spring, summer, etc?)
>
> In the land of 10,000 lakes, near a national wilderness, season doesn't
> matter...

*grin*

>> What kind of event should it be? (picnic, conference, meeting at a bar,
>> etc)
>
> Well, in my area every town has at least 2 bars, most with around 8... ;)
>
>> Would you be willing to help organize?
>
> too many kids/other commitments.

How many regulars in AWW are we talking about? I consider myself to be new
to AWW BTW...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  6:20pm  up 54 days  6:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.68, 0.64