Re: Frozen plus cursor

  • Subject: Re: Frozen plus cursor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:42:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [Konrad] on Thursday 20 October 2005 01:59 \__

> fxcallewaert@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I have a system running Kubuntu 5.10 and it is not responding
>> The cursor changed to a plus signed framed on the upper and right side
>> (see ascii 'art' below :))
>>
>> I can still move the cursor but can't select windows, the keyboard
>> focus is nowhere. I haven't been able to get out of this state except
>> by rebooting.
>>
>> As I'm a newbie on Linux, am I missing something obvious ?
>>

>> Mystery cursor :
>>
>>       -------
>>      |   |
>>      | -- --
>>      |   |

> Hi,
> This looks like a GTK drag&drop cursor (maybe from Firefox).
> You can always press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login, and run "killall -9 app-name"

Yes! Exactly what I was about to suggest even before I read the response.
That grey cursor often indicates that drag-and-drop is not a possibility. I
am fairly sure this only ever shows up when using Firefox. Speaking of
Kubuntu, I heard somewhere that is is less stable then Ubuntu, if not more
broadly filled with bugs.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
  5:35am  up 55 days 17:49,  5 users,  load average: 1.78, 1.59, 1.27