Re: God in Academia

  • Subject: Re: God in Academia
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:15:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.philosophy.atheism
__/ [Christopher A. Lee] on Friday 21 October 2005 03:44 \__

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:10:10 GMT, "UKfolk" <blah@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I am no philosopher and am still trying to become what one might consider
>>"learned"
>>but it still amazes me how scientitsts, mathematicians, philosphers,
>>astronomers and other people with such wonderful minds can still believe in
>>an unproven God?
>>
>>No offense to any believers, it is a genuine question.

I  think  you raise an intersting point. It has itched my mind  for  quite
some  times  when I reveal that big professors and, at times  Nobel  Prize
winners,  make  a mentioning of some up-high man with a beard or  superior
intervention. I also talk about the best amongst physicists here.

I  often think that by the time these people become well-known and outspo-
ken  (also having their voice count), they have ages too. Age, you see, is
what  persuades many among us to believe in life after death. It leads  to
an inner conflict that is often won by our wishes rather than rationale.

> Why ask on an atheist newsgroup?

Well,  if  the question was asked in a religious group, the  answer  would
have  gone along the lines of "because G*d is so true and mighty and  even
scientists can acknowledge that".

My  solution: consult younger scientists whose reputation has not  matured
yet.  In terms of skills and abilities, they are often more competent than
most other. One contention I came across said that the mind of a methmeti-
cian  peaks  before the age of 30. Needless to say, at the age of  30,  no
mathematician will have a pile (or trail) of publications to brag about.

I hope my words did not upset anyone.