Re: OT: Hey guys, I need, like, programmy advice...

__/ [Big Bill] on Thursday 20 October 2005 19:13 \__

> Right now I do repetitive tasks when I validate and layout files.
> I do things like change
> & for &
> for example, then I might change
> and, you know, stuff like that.
>
> Is this perl-type stuff? It seems pretty basic so that's the way I'm
> thinking.
>
> BB

I  wrote  my own tool for the task, but if you are not using a  *nix-based
operating  system,  you  might need to run on a virtual layer.  CygWin  is
worth considering.

http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Search_and_Replace/

It will recursively change any pattern/s you like and descend to all files
in a given directory (and sub-directories).

I  have once seen (and briefly used) a bloated front-end to GREP for  Win-
dows.  I  think it was a trial version. It wasn't great, but it was  some-
thing  worthwhile at the time (I had no Linux box at the office), which  I
think I used for just a day. Tell me if you want it as I can still 'chase'
the link.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Life is too short to proofread"
  1:05am  up 56 days 13:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.60, 0.66