Re: OT: Hey guys, I need, like, programmy advice...

__/ [John Bokma] on Friday 21 October 2005 06:27 \__

>> I  have once seen (and briefly used) a bloated front-end to GREP for
>> Win- dows.
>
> grep, I think you mean sed. (Grep is like find).

I  typically think of fgrep as find and its relatives, only more powerful.
You're  right in spotting an inconsistency there, but GREP is indeed  what
the  front-end  took advantage of and it was capable of achieving the  de-
sired effect.

When I get to think of it all again (not the first time), it's worrying to
see  what GNU/Linux can do to commerical software once it is made popular.
All  of  these $10-100 tools will no longer be necessary. I sometimes  ne-
glect to remember how much money it saves or how much functionality it of-
fers  that  otherwise I could not afford or would not bother to spend  on.
Sourceforge  and Freshmeat show that nowadays, even custom-built system no
longer require much work. This can lead to redundancy.