Re: Digital cameras and linux

  • Subject: Re: Digital cameras and linux
  • From: Tim S <ts@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:13:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:22:47 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [Beck] on Thursday 20 October 2005 20:24 \__
>
>> Running Ubuntu Breezy Badger.
>>
>> After some of you so kindly helped with my wireless connection I thought
>> I would ask something else if you can help please.
>>
>> I have a Fujifilm S5500 digital camera. Upon plugging in the camera
>> (usb) ubuntu recognises it by placing a fujifilm drive in the drive
>> manager.  Thing is I am not sure what to do with it to open it. It says
>> "cannot open as it is an unmountable drive".
>
> Digital  cameras are hard to cope with. That's what people tell me and  it
> is  also  something I have learned from experience. They often  come  with
> Windows drivers and chasing Linux equivalents is a time-burner.

I'd have to say, my experience has been the opposite. Then one can be
unlucky...

> When  I bind my digi/webcam for Ubuntu to have it recognised, it comes  up
> with  a prompt that wishes to export the images. However, it cannot inter-
> pret the filesystem, which apparently does not conform with anything Ubun-
> tu  has  awareness of. Having said that, I had better  luck  communicating
> with  that  same camera and fetching photos when I tried Mandrake 9.2.  It
> wasn't  a  good enough distro though, not when compared with what else  is
> out there nowadays.

To the OP:

Forget the GUI - lets get to basics... Here are some things to try (as
root)

Google claims this camera presents as a USB mass storage device...

1) modprobe usb_storage
2) lsmod | grep storage # to prove it's there
3) Plug camera in
4) lsusb # A few seconds later, give it a moment to settle
4a Do you see your camera listed above?

5) Good: Now type "dmesg"
5a) Look at the last 20 odd lines, does it mention something like this:

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor:           Model: USB MP3           Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdd: 126976 512-byte hdwr sectors (65 MB)
sdd: Write Protect is off
sdd: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdd: 126976 512-byte hdwr sectors (65 MB)
sdd: Write Protect is off
sdd: Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdd: sdd1
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

6) Find out what it called the disk (sdd above, but could be sda, sdb, sdc
etc) - Careful, sda might be your system disk if it's SCSI or SATA(!)

7) mkdir /mnt/camera
8) mount -oro /dev/sdd /mnt/camera
              ^^^
^^^ Change this bit to be the correct drive mentioned in dmesg, you may
need /dev/sdd1 sdd2 or sdd3 if the camera presents a partiton rather that
the whole device.

9) When you get a mount that works, look in /mnt/camera/ for pictures.
Can you copy them somewhere else, check them etc.

If you can get to 9 successfully, then it's time to investigate the GUI,
otherwise as least the fault is going to be easier to diagnose...

> If  you have another Linux box somewhere (e.g. at work), see if it
is
> more kind  to your camera. Also try some Web searches. It sounds as if
> you have a  common model, unlike my cheap, merely unbranded camera that
> comes  from an obscure Chinese manufacturer.
>
> Roy

Good idea, I've also found distributions vary wildly in how well setup
they are out of the box :)

(OP) HTH

Tim