Re: Digital cameras and linux

__/ [Richard Watson] on Friday 21 October 2005 14:19 \__

__/ [Beck] on Friday 21 October 2005 09:51 \__

>> If  you have another Linux box somewhere (e.g. at work), see if it is more
>> kind  to your camera. Also try some Web searches. It sounds as if you have
>> a  common model, unlike my cheap, merely unbranded camera that comes  from
>> an obscure Chinese manufacturer.
>
> Well Ubuntu was certainly not kind to my camera.  After I plugged it in
> and
> tried to open the folder I could no longer use my camera card.  It would
> only give me "card initialisation error" when switching it on.  Could not
> even get windows to recognise it. Had to format the card so lost some
> pictures.

That sure sounds peculiar to me. The desktop-side should not write anything.

__/ [Richard Watson] on Friday 21 October 2005 14:19 \__

> I would suggest that might not be cause and effect.
>
> Certainly if the card was corrupt ubuntu (or anything else) wouldn't
> read it. I would imagine that it was already corrupt when you connected
> the camera.
>
> You may want to try different media or reading from the camera's own
> memory if it has any to see if that makes any difference.

Exactly. It is easy to cry wolf when a distribution does not manage to read
your card. It was most likely affected by something else, but I might be
wrong...

As the others suggested, consider a USB card reader. It might save you enough
hassle (time) to be worth the mere monetary investment.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
  4:05pm  up 57 days  4:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.15