Re: Internet connectivity through Palm Pilot for a Windows XP laptop

  • Subject: Re: Internet connectivity through Palm Pilot for a Windows XP laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 04:37:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo] on Friday 21 October 2005 21:14 \__

> I have been given a challenge, which is to use a Palm Pilot with wireless
> Internet connectivity as a modem or rather network router for a Windows XP
> laptop.
>
> Is it possible to share the Internet connection of the said Palm Pilot with
> a Windows XP computer?
>
> Thanks a lot for your ideas!

My guess would be that your Pilot, although it is capable of achieving
wireless connectivity, will not propagate the signal and hence not be of
much use as a router. This, I stress, is merely a speculation of mine.

Does your Pilot provide you with enough options? Does the laptop detect a
wireless connection? Is there possibly some third-party software for the
Pilot, which can somehow address the problem? If somebody offered such
networking solution, it would probably have a decent market share,
especially if the handheld is a mobile phone combo. Maybe something that
exists already simply evades me.

I agree it's quite a challenge.

Good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  4:30am  up 57 days 16:44,  8 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.56, 0.59