Re: Website creation software - please help (also in alt.comp.linux)

  • Subject: Re: Website creation software - please help (also in alt.comp.linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:38:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Neil Hindry] on Sunday 23 October 2005 14:23 \__

> I am new to Linux and have installed Fedora Core 4 on my laptop PC and
> Mandriva on my Desktop PC.

I  am not too familiar with the contents of each distribution, but I  will
try  to  base  my opinion on what I believe is installed already.  I  used
FC2/3 and Mandrake many times in past, but they are less comprehensive and
self-contained than your modern installations.

> I am looking to start my own website and as I am doing my website anyway I
> thought I may as well do it in Linux,
> that way I end up with my finished website but I am also learning more
> about Linux as I go.

Site  construction can be correlated to the workings and interaction  with
the shell, so I believe the contribution of Web design and Linux is recip-
rocal.  I  also urge you not to drift to WYSIWYG unless you must (see  be-
low).

> When I create my website I want to be able to write the code myself but it
> would also be nice to have the option of something like WYSIWYG where I can
> draw a quick page if needed, but if it cannot have both I prefer to be able
> to write the code myself.

Have  a look and see if you have Quanta Plus installed already. It may re-
side  under  Internet  or Development (and variations  of  these  category
names).  If you have not got it already, I suggest you go ahead and  down-
load it. It can save you some typing and rid you from the need to memorise
tags/elements and tag/element attributes.

If  you choose to go for more principled and intuitive Web development,  I
suggest you consider a CMS (content management system). Many of these sim-
plify  the  process of page composition and yet they are highly  flexible.
There  is  a  learning  curve  involved and you need  to  make  your  site
database-driven.  Have  a  look  at some detailed  instructions  that  are
CMS-specific, which make the task a significantly less daunting one.

> Does anyone know of any good free website creation software for Linux that
> meets my needs described above?
> Where can I get it from?

As I look back at what I said, I suggest you go for a CMS. That's probably
where  all sites are headed. HTML code is a low level of granularity  that
could not be superseded by WYSIWYG, but CMS tools with symbolic structures
make raw code merely obsolete as time goes on.

> I don't mind if you suggest one program for FC4 and a different one for
> Mandriva but if possible it would be nice to use the same program in FC4
> and Mandriva.

You should be able to run the same program/s in both.

> I hope you can help me.
>
> I appreciate any help or information given.
>
> Thanks

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
  4:20pm  up 59 days  2:29,  7 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.53, 0.46