Re: old sites playing dirty tricks

  • Subject: Re: old sites playing dirty tricks
  • From: wd <n@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:29:14 -0400
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:00:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [wd] on Sunday 23 October 2005 06:57 \__

>> 7 editions of VISTA?  I can picture it already...
>>
>> * demo (free Enterprise edition for 30 days)
>> * quickstart edition ($69, includes paint and notepad version 12)
>> * Student edition ($119, includes Wordpad 12, and $20 off MS anti-spyware)
>> * Home edition ($169, includes minesweeper 12 and two new card games)
>> * Professional edition ($249, allows networking of up to 3 computers)
>> * Developers edition ($599, includes Monad)
>> * Enterprise edition ($1199, for small business)
>

> Read the following:
>
> * http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1858101,00.asp
>
> He is being quite funny about it too.

I was just joking... I thought maybe in reality the real 7 editions would
be something like:
"European Edition"
"American Edition"
etc.

I just looked around and it really is true:

Four versions for "home users" --
# Windows Vista Starter Edition:
# Windows Vista Home Basic Edition:
# Windows Vista Home Premium Edition:
# Windows Vista Ultimate Edition:

3 versions for "business users" --
# Windows Vista Professional Edition:
# Windows Vista Small Business Edition:
# Windows Vista Enterprise Edition.

What a joke!  I would avoid VISTA like the plague but I know I am going
to have to at least know how to use it to some extent -- fixing viruses,
spyware, and trojans, and helping other people set it up.

"Vista Starter will be designed for beginning computer users in emerging
markets who can afford only a low-cost PC. As with the XP version, Vista
Starter will be a subset of Vista Home and will ship in a 32-bit version
only. The product will let only three applications (or windows) run
simultaneously, will provide Internet connectivity but not incoming
network communications, and won't provide for logon passwords or Fast User
Switching" http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47665/47665.html

This is pathetic.  hmmm, Linux or Vista Starter Edition... Tough choice.

"Vista Home Premium will provide ... DVD-ripping support
(yes, you read that right)..."

WOW!!! DVD-ripping support?  I want to pay them more
money and upgrade already.

(ok... I'll stop now before I get carried away.)