Re: finally upgraded to suse 10.0

  • Subject: Re: finally upgraded to suse 10.0
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:13:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Vahis] on Monday 31 October 2005 08:03 \__

> StvyLife wrote:
>> do you all miss me???
>> I guess not....
>>
>> well suse 10 zero is full of mix feeling.
>> (no kmail package)
>>
>> it took some getting use too.
>> I went with gnome this time around, it is interesting.
>> it seem strange but I was able to configure it and finally get
>> on the internet because it didn't work the first time. It took
>> some tweaking; I could not get to you guys but finally
>> I found you.
>>
>> I miss my suse 9.3 and kde....
>> it was loaded with tons of stuff and screen savers.
>> you probably know where i am heading....
>>
>> I like to get kmail and knode back; evolution isn't quite doing it.
>> Okay the big question is that is it possible to import all the good stuff
>> from kde. is it possible to install kde (or at least all libs) too because
>> I don't know what the new one looks like and I feel locked.
>>
>> Gnome feels solid though.
>>

> You can install KDE in Yast just normally

To me, GNOME is just a compromise to those who cannot have KDE. I am on GNOME
at the moment (SSH'ing to SuSE from Ubuntu) and I must say that, although
GNOME is clean and solid, it misses many of must-have features. For example:

-No slideshow for desktop wallpapers

-Not much freedom when it comes to colours (I like dark shades)

-Docks have less functionality (questionable)

-File management is rather poor

-Evolution is said to be buggy. I steered away from it ever since day 1. Many
of the applications from KDE are sorely missed...

Best of luck,